Thursday, May 10, 2007

Waraku restaurant at Central Mall

SPECIAL MENTION: Ramune drink (reminds me of childhood) and the huge selection. It even has a Spring menu for now. Also, the branch at Marina Square has tatami rooms if you are with a group of friends. I suggest you make a reservation if you want to dine in the tatami room. Service was prompt even at lunch hour.

SUGGESTIONS:
1) Freeze the serving glass for the cold drinks so that it will be very chilled. This will be a delightful surprise for the patrons. 2) Have a menu of recommended dishes to ease the selection process by making it less overwhelming.
3) For the windows, do install some form of shade because the Sun can get glaring at noon time.

PRICE: $$ (Inexpensive) about S$40 for 2 persons

FOOD: Average (worth a visit)

Visited the Waraku restaurant at the spanking new Central Mall for lunch today. The overall experience was a pleasant one. My sister and I were asked politely to sit at the bench while they clear a well located table for us. It was a lovely gesture because there were other empty tables for two but they cleared a table for four because it had a nicer view. Our table (no.9) had the view of Singapore River and the colourful and quaint refurbished warehouses.

Upon being brought to the table, I was overwhelmed by the four colourful menus on the table. I was so overwhelmed by the numerous dishes and various permutations of dishes (set meals) that I had difficult time choosing what I wanted to have for lunch. There were so many choices that I couldn't bear to look through everything and just settle on the Rindo set (Cold udon noodles, cold soba noodles and pork cutlet topped with egg on rice). My sister chose tempura and zaru soba. I ordered a Ramune and my sis ordered an iced green tea.

The food was served very promptly (within 10min) and both our meals came together. Whenever restaurants serve the food of friends or family separately, it irks me. What do they expect the other person to do? Stare and drool? Haha... One up to Waraku for serving our meals together and with haste.



The chawanmushi was average, but interesting. It was served with a sprig of mint leaf, gingko nut, piece of fish skin (salty), mushroom, chicken and piece of lime (sour). A funny amalgation of tastes. I liked the slight sour taste, the fresh taste of spring.



The Rindo set I had was a carbohydrate-rich meal. In fact, a little too heavy for me. The pork cutlet was fantastic. A lot of crunch in the meat because it was cut in such a way that when I bit into it, I was biting against the grain of the meat. One more credit to the chef was that even though the beatened egg was poured onto the fried meat, meat was still crispy and not soggy. The udon noodles were more springy and smoother than the soba noodles. But, of course, the soba noodles were healthier :)

I did't try the tempura but my sister remarked that it was a little too greasy. Perhaps it was fried for too long at a temperature lower than optimum.

*Ramune drink: soda pop with marble

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waraku Restaurant...

OMG... reminds me of the SUPER unpleasant visit I had @ the Marina Square branch.

I was made to wait almost half an hour for their specialty dish Gyusuji Kishimen then was told that it was unavailable and then forced to change, then waited for another 15 minutes before my udon was served.

And they have horrible service too...

Really, even if it is not expensive, the bad experience and the average food just don't justify for my next visit...

No more Waraku... haha :)

Raeanne said...

It was a totally different experience for me. Service was prompt and staff were polite. Maybe this is branch=specific

zc said...

central branch is the best? is there a need to make a reservation before hand?