Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hog's Breath at Vivo City

SPECIAL MENTION:Also available at Holland Village and CHIJMES

SUGGESTIONS: Don't overcook the salmon. Either use chicken thigh, some other more tender part of the chicken or tenderise the chickn breast more for the Djon Chicken dish. Leave the fish fillet in the batter for a longer period of time for the Fish and Chips.

FOOD: Very good for the beef. Average for the rest.

PRICE: $20+ to 40+ per person

Visited Hog's Breath at Vivo City with my family for dinner. The service was pretty good. I am not being biased here but it was definitely prompt. Dad had Salmon with Lemon Sauce, Mom had Djon Chicken, Sis had Fish and Chips and my owner had Thai Beef Salad. We ordered a Cranberry juice, an Orange juice and a Lemon juice.

Above: Thai Beef Salad
The Thai Beef Salad was delicious. The beef slices were seared nicely, leaving them tender and juicy. The beef slices were also marinated with Teriyaki sauce so it was rather tasty. The slices were thick enough for bite and yet thin enough such that it absorbed the marinade well. The salad was normal garden salad except that it had beef slices and crunchy uncooked noodles bits. One issue with the salad was that it came with quite a bit of rocket lettuce. I think I have already emphasised my disdain for rocket lettuce. Although you may think rabbits like lettuce, I don't quite like extremely bitter rocket lettuce. You need armoured tastebuds to like it.


Above: Salmon

I can't really comment about the other dishes because I didn't have them. But, the salmon was a little too tough. My guess was that it was cooked too long and became overcooked. The deep-fried sweet potato chips that came with the salmon was a pretty interesting concept.


Above: Djon Chicken

The Djon Chicken was a few slices of chicken breast and it was kinda tough. Out of all the parts of the chicken, chicken breast is the toughest and least tender portion of a chicken. I never liked eating chicken breast. The baked potato that came with the Djon Chicken was a little overcooked. The skin of the potato was a lil burnt.


Above: Fish & Chips

My owner's sister had Fish and Chips. The restaurant used beer batter for the fish. Beer batter is always nice for fish and chips. However, I think that the fish fillets could have been soaked in the beer batter for a longer period of time. So that the taste of the fish and the taste of the beer batter aren't two separate tastes. One thing I liked about the Fish and Chips was that the dish was not too greasy.

Okay, Hog's Breath's specialities are indeed ribs and steaks. My Thai Beef Salad was the best of the dishes because of the wonderfully seared beef slices. Remember, ribs and steaks.

No comments: