Friday, May 25, 2007

Tong Shui Cafe along Upper Thomson Road



SPECIAL MENTION: WiFi is provided. There are also SCV programmes on the TV screens. The outlet is opened from 12noon to 6am.

PRICE: about S$15-20 per person

FOOD: Yummy

I had a good brunch today at the Tong Shui Cafe. Before I walked in, My owner told her sister "da4 hong3 deng1 gao1 gao1 kua4" because there were a lot of red lanterns outside the cafe. Anyway, the interior decor of the place was also a sight to behold, red, lime green and fuschia walls. We ordered a Kimchi noodles with egg and cabbage rolls, Oven-baked rice with pork, Hot coke with ginger, Lychee blended ice with kiwi and a mango crushed ice with seaweed jelly.

The oven-baked rice came with two sauces, it was partially covered in melted cheese mixed with corn and partially covered in bolognaise sauce. A very thoughtful dish. It prevented me from becoming bored of the cheesy taste. I usually get sick of the cheese after a while so the bolognaise sauce on half of the rice provided a nice contrast to the cheese. The corn added a sweet taste to the cheese, very nice. The meat was juicy but could have been more tender.



Lychee blended ice with kiwi was served in a small jug. with the small kiwi pieces on the top. The ice could have been finer and less coarse. It was relatively fine except one or two larger pieces of ice. The drink was lovely for an extremely hot sweltering day.



Lastly, for dessert, we ordered the mango crushed ice with seaweed jelly. The mango was aplenty and the mango was sweet, not sour at all. But, the slightly sour taste was provided by the pomelo flesh. That sour taste balanced out the sweet mango, giving more dimension to the taste. Though the portion was meant for one person, we shared it among two persons. Furthermore, I believe it could have been shared by three persons.


Above: My favourite meal and I!

The kimchi noodles came with really crisp kimchi, not too spicy and not too sour. The cabbage roll was very interesting too. It wasn't my dish so I can't really comment. But, according to the taster, it was "fantastic, very nice".



I drank a little bit of the hot coke and ginger. It is apparently very good for the throat. I don't usually like ginger but this concoction was rather acceptable to me. The ginger taste was there but it was at a comfortable level.

I really like the experience and thank my owner for bringing me there. I just love eating food that showcase the thoughtfulness that went into the creation of the dishes. It just makes me happy.

No comments: